Archive for the ‘sailboat’ Category

So, George decided he wanted a red leather wheel cover. And who better to complete the task than the resident seamstress/jack of all trades? He purchased a wheel cover kit and brought the kit & wheel to the store, where I sit behind the counter at my desk sewing the cover in place.

Some workshop!

This is NOT a quick or relaxing chore. It’s hard on the hands.  Although the leather has been pre-punched, it takes a fair amount to push the needle thru the holes, and even more pulling to tauten the cord properly.  It has approx. 800 holes…my fingers will be a lot stronger by the time this little project is completed!! (Hope we have a good supply of the ol’ Ibuprophen!)

Sewing the wheel cover

Read Full Post »

We’ve been re-purposing the port aft cabin as a storage room. We didn’t want to rip out the existing, but merely add storage accomodations. If we find that in the future we need it as a cabin, there would be only minor removal to make it fit as sleeping quarters.

Cushion Storage Shelf

Shelf Aft Wall Mounts

Shelf Floor Bracket

PVC pipe shelf to hold cockpit cushions.


We added a standard 3.3 cf  ‘dorm’ refrigerator. This will give us additional cold storage space when docked with shore power. George fastened it to the wall with metal straps screwed in place. He leveled it with plywood, painted black & screwed in place.

I, on the other hand, busied myself stripping the seal (and associated goo, residue & dirt) around the companionway stairs. We then applied a new foam seal. Also, we’re currently sanding & varnishing some areas around and in the companionway, as well as the stairs.

This was done while waiting for decent weather. We needed to scrape, sand & bottom paint. But a week plus of threatening weather delayed that project. 

George completed the sanding & painting last night, so now we’re waiting for the marina to get us in the water! After she’s in the water, we’ll get the mast up & rigged. This wait has been interminable. It’s been over 5 weeks and it seems like an eternity!!

Read Full Post »

We’ve been spending all our free time working on the boat.

For me, this means the task of cleaning and sorting. Although there was little in the way of  the former owner’s dirt, I scrubbed every surface, took measurements of any areas I thought I would add storage bins, rugs, hanging mesh storage, etc.  There was an amazing amount of ‘stuff’ the prior occupants had left: from galley items to tools to chemicals of all sorts, cruising guides & old magazines, ropes and an odd assortment of spare parts. This all had to be gone thru and either tossed or added to our own inventory and stowed.

For George, this has meant removing the pinstriping from the hull and cleaning the remaining residue. He enlisted the help of our computer tech…a 25 year old is far better up on a ladder than George, and has a lot more stamina!  He’s gotten the bimini in place, and has removed all the hatches. They are terribly crazed and must be replaced. We shipped them off to a company that replaces the ‘glass’. In the meantime, the hatches have been covered with duct tape, with fingers crossed that the weather won’t be too wet! 

He’s set up the vinyl cutter at the house so he can make the pinstriping to replace the old ones. This weekend forecast calls for warm, sunny weather. We hope he’ll be able to get it made & will be able to get the vinyl applied. I plan to work the store so he can have both Friday & Saturday to work on it, and Sunday we’ll both be able to spend time at the marina.

We have decided to use the port aft cabin as a ‘walk in’ storage room. So for the present, all our goodies are residing there. The starboard aft cabin is currently the receptacle for our sails, rigging, and equipment that will be attached to the mast.  I haven’t brought any of our own things to the boat yet. I’m going to wait until the boat is in the water before beginning to move in. No sense in hoisting things up 8′ to the cockpit.  We’ll just wait til we can just pass them across from the dock.

Here’s hoping for a sunny & productive weekend for getting the boat ready for the summer!!

Read Full Post »

Got a phone call from the driver delivering our boat. He called to say it was all loaded up & ready to take off, Wednesday, April 1st. He’s hoping to arrive on Friday, and will call when he’s an hour out so we can be there for the unloading.

It won’t be going in the water right away.  We need to do a few things, and give the outside a good going-over before getting her to her slip. So her 1st experience with NE Ohio will be on the hard. (Well, she’s been in the warm waters of Florida, so the frigid waters of Lake Erie would be a shock!)

Of course, the 1st course of action will be cleaning and a general inventory of what the former owners left, what needs replacing, a list of needed spares, etc.

Before stepping the mast we need to make a thorough examination, so to avoid having to climb it  later (if possible).  I’ve made up a commissioning list (See ‘Fitting Out Checklist’) of everything I can possibly find that needs to be done to ready our boat for sailing.  George thinks it may be overkill, but I’d rather have too much than miss something that is important to do.  And since this is our 1st boat, I don’t have a clue about what needs to be done!

Weather for Friday is 80% chance of rain.  Saturday is partly cloudy. The temperature for both days is in the lower 50’s.  So delivery day will, at best, be a dull day. At worst, a miserable rainy one. But for us, one of the best days of our lives!

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts