Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for May, 2009

We were able to get Outrageous in the water Friday! Fred, the kindly fellow in charge of the boatyard, got us to our slip as we weren’t really all that enthused about taking her ourselves! He got her backed into the slip & we got her secured in place. She looks right at home…it’s a great location!

S/V Outrageous

Molly was there to assist on Saturday – what with all the tidying, figuring out systems, etc, her help was invaluable!

Outrageous & Molly

As I said, our location is great…straight up the ramp to the parking lot. We thought we’d like to be right in the midst of things…as newbies, we’ll have lots of opportunities to meet our neighbors. It’s also right next to a lovely little park area with trees & a tiny beach & picnic tables…all at our doorstep.  It’s so easy to take Molly over to the lawn for a moment – really just 20-30 feet or so! And the parking lot is right there as well. No schlepping stuff over long distances.

SV Outrageous At Home

A neighbor commented as he walked past ‘Think you’re missing something’.  Yeeaaah…..don’t have the mast up yet. They put up the mast AFTER it’s in the water…so, again we’re waiting. But at least waiting with the gentle movement of the water to lull us into complacency!

Before the boat went into the water, George had to finish painting the spots where the  boat was ‘up on blocks’. Then it had to sit for 4 hours before going in the water.  I took that time to clean the cockpit, and all the deck. There’s been quite a bit of dust, as the drydock is gravel.

After we were settled in our slip, I continued with stitching the Captain’s red wheel cover. About 5/8ths of it is complete. Not nearly as hard on my hands as I thought…only 2 fingers have to be taped for protection.

I broke up the task by doing a little more cleaning below.  I had brought CLR to attempt to clean all the faucets & drains. See http://www.shopclr.com/

clr

The faucets were very bad…I really wanted to  buy new ones, but decided to try cleaning them before making a purchase. Let me tell you…that CLR not only removed the green yuk & the white scale, but also seemed to remove the ‘bumps’ or ‘pits’ I was attributing to deteriorating chrome finish.  It really does look like I replaced the old ones!

George just let me know that the mast & rigging is scheduled to go up on Thursday. Here’s hoping….seems that with a boat it’s always  ‘island time’… even if you’re still a land-lubber in Cleveland!

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

So, George decided he wanted a red leather wheel cover. And who better to complete the task than the resident seamstress/jack of all trades? He purchased a wheel cover kit and brought the kit & wheel to the store, where I sit behind the counter at my desk sewing the cover in place.

Some workshop!

This is NOT a quick or relaxing chore. It’s hard on the hands.  Although the leather has been pre-punched, it takes a fair amount to push the needle thru the holes, and even more pulling to tauten the cord properly.  It has approx. 800 holes…my fingers will be a lot stronger by the time this little project is completed!! (Hope we have a good supply of the ol’ Ibuprophen!)

Sewing the wheel cover

Read Full Post »

We’ve been re-purposing the port aft cabin as a storage room. We didn’t want to rip out the existing, but merely add storage accomodations. If we find that in the future we need it as a cabin, there would be only minor removal to make it fit as sleeping quarters.

Cushion Storage Shelf

Shelf Aft Wall Mounts

Shelf Floor Bracket

PVC pipe shelf to hold cockpit cushions.

 Refrigerator

We added a standard 3.3 cf  ‘dorm’ refrigerator. This will give us additional cold storage space when docked with shore power. George fastened it to the wall with metal straps screwed in place. He leveled it with plywood, painted black & screwed in place.

I, on the other hand, busied myself stripping the seal (and associated goo, residue & dirt) around the companionway stairs. We then applied a new foam seal. Also, we’re currently sanding & varnishing some areas around and in the companionway, as well as the stairs.

This was done while waiting for decent weather. We needed to scrape, sand & bottom paint. But a week plus of threatening weather delayed that project. 

George completed the sanding & painting last night, so now we’re waiting for the marina to get us in the water! After she’s in the water, we’ll get the mast up & rigged. This wait has been interminable. It’s been over 5 weeks and it seems like an eternity!!

Read Full Post »